- Do you want to start leveraging Microsoft Hyper-V in your software test lab and streamline your virtual lab management infrastructure and processes?
- Do you have multiple hypervisors (and now Hyper-V) in your test/dev/pre-production labs and are finding it difficult to manage the virtual lab environment?
We are very happy to announce that VMLogix LabManager 3.6 extends beta support to the Microsoft Hyper-V platform and we look forward to enriching the Hyper-V platform experience for customers with our leading virtual lab automation solution.
As you might be aware, VMLogix LabManager is a hypervisor agnostic virtual lab automation solution that supports leading hypervisors from Citrix, Microsoft and VMware. You can read more about the system requirements for VMLogix LabManager. Our customers can be assured that the features of our award winning management platform are available across the leading hypervisor platforms and now Hyper-V.
You can request for a free 30 day evaluation of LabManager.
Microsoft Hyper-V has received very wide coverage and publicity over the past few weeks and we recently had a post around Hyper-V and virtualization adoption. We have also noted that Microsoft has acknowledged test and development as a core scenario for Hyper-V. We do believe that we are at the cusp of a new virtualization adoption wave.
Virtual Lab Automation and VMLogix LabManager
Virtual Lab Automation (VLA) is a management system by which recurrent labor-intensive manual tasks necessary in test and development labs can be automated and by which test and development lab processes and infrastructure can be streamlined and centrally managed. VLA ensures rapid, highly repeatable, resource-optimized deployments of complex, multi-machine build, test and pre-production environments across virtual machines. You should consider reading this guest post of mine — “What is Virtual Lab Automation and Why should I care?” to get an introduction to the topic.
VMLogix LabManager is a virtual lab automation solution that has key differentiators in the market by virtue of its hypervisor agnostic stance (the only lab management product to support Citrix XenServer and now Microsoft Hyper-V), automation capabilities, user/team management & collaboration support and advanced networking.
What is the value add of a VLA solution on top of Hyper-V?
There is a Hyper-V management system available and there is also Systems Center VMM. Then why should you care about a virtual lab automation like LabManager? For this, I like to highlight to users the following points::
- Enhance the value derived from Hyper-V: Hyper-V supports the use of virtualization for testing and consolidation. VMLogix LabManager brings natural management synergies to a hypervisor like Hyper-V, allowing users to get more from their hypervisor investments. Specifically, LabManager enables users to centralize lab management operations and processes, fosters a self-service environment for individual and multi-machine configurations, automates the setup of multi-machine configurations and optimizes storage utilization in the lab through delta-disk technology. LabManager provides these capabilites over and above a hypervisor like Hyper-V and these capabilities are not available in other management applications like Systems Center VMM. You might consider reading this earlier post I wrote — “What Virtual Lab Automation offers over and above a hypervisor“.
- Fold the use of Hyper-V into your test lab with no disruptions: VMLogix LabManager is hypervisor agnostic and supports Citrix, VMware and Microsoft hypervisors. Leverage this capability to effectively centralize your lab management and operations and bring into the fold other hypervisors already deployed in the lab to be used in concert with Hyper-V.
- VM Image interoperability between Citrix and Microsoft: VMLogix LabManager is also Citrix certified, so you will be ready to benefit from any virtual machine image interoperability between the hypervisor vendors. This also provides the freedom and flexibility offered by choosing a VLA solution that supports multiple hypervisors.
- Prepare for the use of Hyper-V in your production environment: Use Hyper-V in the test lab of your multi-tier applications prior to publishing them in the Hyper-V enabled production environment.
Here are a couple of screenshots:
What else do we have new in LabManager 3.6?
In addition to Hyper-V support, LabManager 3.6 supports ESX 3.5 Update 2 and server installation on CentOS 5.1/5.2 and on Windows Server 2008.
What are your thoughts/feedback/comments? We would love to hear from you.
– Srihari Palangala (firstname.lastname@example.org)